Wednesday, July 31, 2013

07.31.13 {week 1}

Mom & Dad,

     I already sent the family email earlier today, but I didn't have time to say everything I wanted to.  That hour goes by so fast!  And now we know how to print emails & attach pictures, so I should have more time to write next week.

     I forgot to put this in the email, but tell Uncle Ralph and Aunt Deb that Anziano Tolman, from Bancroft, is in my zone.  I'm not quite sure how he made the connection, because he approached me & asked if I knew them.  Anyway, that's cool! 

     Tell everyone that if they email me, they should put their address somewhere [so that I can write them when my email time runs out].

     The language is coming along.  I'm having a hard time just not being able to say exactly what I want to say, when I want to say it.  But our teachers are really good at reminding us to state things simply & plainly.  Yesterday, Fratello Cena read 2 Nephi 31:2-3 to me & it helped me understand that simplicity in speaking is good.  And it reminded me that the Lord is speaking to the investigators through me.  He speaks to people according to their language & understanding & especially through the Spirit.  I'm just a conduit.  So that's a little more comforting.

     Mom, you asked in my first email how my first day went.  Honestly, it's already a blur.  Once I left the car & started walking with my host, I already felt so much better.  It's the goodbyes that were hard & making me nauseous.  So I ate fine that night.  Just at lunch [today] the four of us sisters were talking about that first day & how we were all just trying to keep it together.  So I wasn't the only one.  But as I'm sitting here writing, I can see families dropping their missionaries off outside our window.  So we aren't the newbies anymore, which is nice.  And we've been super welcoming to the newbies today.  It's exciting to see a new group coming in, though.  Our zone is kind of weird  because the entire zone came in on Wednesday & our entire zone leaves the same day.  So we're starting from scratch, which is abnormal, I guess.

     Thank you so much for your cards, Mom.  They've been perfect.  I had a really hard time the first couple of days being around my towels.  Because I would get a whiff of them & they smelled like home.  But I'm better now.

     Tell everyone to keep writing & that I love them!  I miss everyone so much - it's almost unbearable.  But I know I'm where I'm supposed to be.  I LOVE YOU! 

 Ciao!
Sorella Gunnerson

AND

     Mom, I keep forgetting to thank you for the sticky notes you left throughout my bags!  I keep randomly finding them & they make my day.  I have no idea when you did it, but thank you!

     I forgot to tell everyone this, but I actually have a calling!  Besides the ZLs, DLs, Sister Trainer, & media person, I'm the only one with a calling.  I'm the . . . (drum roll please) . . . Branch Music Coordinator.  Basically that means that I play the piano at church, I choose the hymns for sacrament meeting and priesthood meeting (strange), & I figure out special musical numbers for sacrament meeting  I'm pretty sure this is only because last Thursday night at our first branch/zone meeting they asked who would play the opening hymn & I raised my hand.  So . . . yeah.  But it's cool, I guess. 

     I'm not sure if this was a thing when Amy & Wendy came here, but every Sunday, before Relief Society, all of the sisters at the MTC get to watch Music and the Spoken Word.  Oh my goodness, it made me so happy this week.  I got teary-eyed multiple times.  It was perfect & I'm so glad we got to watch it.  They sang a song this week . . . "On a Clear Day, you can see forever,"  I think it was?  I loved it.

     I guess this letter is kind of music-themed.  So I just want to thank you for the love of music that you've given me.  There's no music allowed at the MTC of any kind, which has been super hard for me!  Just let me listen to MoTab while I get ready in the morning, why don'tcha?  But it just makes it that much better when we do listen to music.  I love it.  So, grazie, Mama.  I love you & miss you a ton.

Sorella Gunnerson

No comments:

Post a Comment