Wednesday, September 11, 2013

09.11.13 {week 7}

LA MIA FAMIGLIA!

Mamma mia, I have so much to say and only 20 minutes to say it on this really awful keyboard that has issues with the n key.  Anyway, as you've heard, I'm in Milano!  My trainer is Sorella Palumbo and she's from Sicilia, but she speaks perfect English.  We got here last Wednesday and they took us right away to the Duomo to try to speak to people.  It was...interesting.  Haha.  But, wow, the Duomo is awesome.  You get off at this Metro stop, you walk up the stairs and BAM there it is.  They wouldn't let us take our cameras that day and I was worried that I would never get a picture of the Duomo!  But here I am.  :)  That night we stayed at a hotel near the mission home.  On Thursday we met our trainers.  We walked into the room and there were, obviously, only two sisters there.  I automatically knew which one was mine because I was so afraid I would get a native.  And there she was.  Haha.  But she's great.  She's definitely European, but she's 24 and actually studied English in school.  So it's not as bad as you might think.  We live with two other sisters - Sorella Carlock and Sorella Bucco.  They're awesome.

So, basically, this is really difficult.  I'm not gonna lie.  I may or may not have cried myself to sleep my first night here.  :)  But that was the worst it's been so far.  Each day has it's ups and downs.  And we've already seen miracles.  The Lord really is a part of this work.  He doesn't send us here to work alone.  I'm convinced there are angels around us constantly.  My trainer is actually new to the area, so that makes this a bit more difficult.  That's also difficult because usually one member of the companionship stays, so they know the investigators and the investigators know them.  But that wasn't the case this time.  So we're both still trying to figure out who people are and how to get to places and all of that fun stuff.  I think it's called pink-washing?  I had my first REAL lesson on Friday and it went really well (until two days later when the lady called and said she was worried about leaving the church that she feels loyal to...fun stuff).  We met this brother (18) and sister (16) on Saturday night - they were actually walking around giving people cards about THEIR church.  But we started talking to them (and by "we" I basically mean Sorella Palumbo) and they just kind of wanted to know more.  But we found out that the sister was getting baptized into their church the next day!!  We met with the brother on Monday for the first lesson and found out that she didn't end up getting baptized on Sunday!  Coincidence?  I think not.

The language is HARD.  Everyone just talks all the time and I have no idea what they're saying, but whatever it is they're very passionate about it.  And actually, I can get the gist of what people are saying pretty well.  It just takes me a while to translate in my head.  Man oh man, I just need to keep reminding myself that I've only been here for six days.  I shouldn't be fluent yet, so I can't keep getting frustrated with myself.  I'm trying really hard, and I hope that's enough for now.

Today has been great.  We went to the Duomo and walked around there for a bit.  We got a yummy lunch and then GELATO.  (Of course.)  I'll try to send pictures.  Anyway, I don't have much time left, but I love you all and miss you more than words can express.  But I'm so grateful for this gospel.  And I'm so excited to just share it with everyone!  AMORE!

Sorella Gunnerson


Sorella Palumbo and me!  ALSO Parker Lovett is training again so I got to see him my first day here!!  (Make sure Bep sees this one and shows it to Dan and Wiki.)


My street and my apartment!  We have the bottom floor.


DUOMO!


No comments:

Post a Comment