Wednesday, May 21, 2014

05.21.14 - {week 43}

Hey Family!

Remember that one time when I saw your beautiful faces for a short 40 minutes?  That was awesome.

So I have a new comp!  I told you a little bit about her last week, but now I know a ton more.  She's from Kaysville, has a degree from Utah State in Graphic Design and is overall just awesome.  The language hasn't come as easily for her as it did for Tokarski, but she works really hard at it and I can tell she really wants to be here.  So I'm just givin' her the classic Torino experience!

This week we did a lot of bus-riding.  Fun.  So I can't remember if I told you guys this, but our companionship has been asked by President to also teach any single women for the Torino 1 ward because there are only two companionships of Anziani up there, no Sorelle.  So any of their less-actives or new converts or simps are ours.  Which is awesome because we have so much to do but a little complicated at the same time.  It takes us a good 45 minutes to an hour to get basically anywhere up by their church.  So we ride the bus a lot.  It's great.  The only simp we have up there is this lady named V and her daughter, F.  They were a referral from a member and they're so sweet.  Catholic, but sweet.  So we went to meet them for the first time a few weeks ago and only were able to re-meet again this last Saturday.  We got to watch the Resto movie with them and it was so great!  The Spirit was strong (like it is any time we watch that movie) and I know they felt it.  So we have high hopes there.  I know the gospel will bless their lives.  Speaking of Torino 1, we got to go to their ward on Sunday as well.  So we did six hours of church on Sunday.  Wow, it's incredible how tired that can make you.  Our ward was pushed back to 4-7 in the afternoon because of a YW-YM activity, so we went to both wards and it was cool!  We got to meet a bunch of people up there and they got to just kind of see us and know that we exist.  We got a referral!  So, success!  Another referral miracle:  Sorella Lawrence came from her last city with three referrals from members there for Torino!  We have two appointments set from those so far.

Our English class is just blowing up.  In the best way possible.  We have probably, like 10-12 people that come regularly every week and almost all of them are interested in hearing more about the gospel.  In fact, tonight after English class, we're watching the Restoration for those who want to stay and watch it.  Non vedo l'ora!

This week we went to see a less-active, E.  She's a bidante which means she just hangs out with an old lady at her home all day and takes care of her.  So whenever we go there, the old lady, L sits on the couch and listens.  She is so sweet.  Always has a smile on her face and is always so happy to have us over, but can't hear a word.  We always have to repeat a sentence really slowly and loudly 2 or 3 times for her to understand.  She's so cute.  So we got there and we sat down and I said, "Come state?"  (How are you all?)  I had to say it a few times before L heard and then finally she said very loudly and proudly (but always with that smile):  "Siamo Cattolici!"  (We're Catholics!)  Story of my life.  Or should I say, story of the life of a missionary in Italy.  I can't even tell you the number of times I've heard people say, "Yep, I was born and raised Catholic and I'm going to die Catholic."  Usually after that I ask them if they are practicing and they (usually) say no.  Soooo yeah.  That's usually how it goes here.  Anyway, L is just so old and sweet.  I started cracking up.  I think she was confused as to why we were all laughing.  Poor lady.

Oh!  Great news!  Last week Tokarski and I were walking with M to the bus stop after a lesson at the church and she started asking questions about the mission and then said that she's thinking about serving a mission!  We freaked out a little bit and then we waited until we were outside of ear-shot and freaked out more.  It was awesome.  And THEN on Sunday she texted me and asked me if there are any religious universities in America that I know of.  HA!  Now she's going to apply to BYU for the following year (after finishing her Masters here) to get her PhD.  (Homegirl is smart.)  I can just see her on the BYU campus.  She would LOVE it.  I hope it all works out and happens.  And then I could have her over for Sunday dinner and you would all get to meet her and it would be awesome.  Love her.

Anyway, I think that's about it for this week.  Can't believe I'm hitting my ten month mark on Saturday.  Crazy talk.  Alright, have a great week!  Vi voglio un sacco di bene!  AMORE.

Sorella Gunnerson

Today.  Classic gelato pic and new comp pic.


We had a party for English class last week.  Fun times.

Today.  Classic gelato pic and new comp pic.



No comments:

Post a Comment