Sunday, January 5, 2014

01.01.14 {week 23}

Buon Anno!

Well it has officially been a week since our crazy, but perfect, Skype call.  Thank you guys for taking 40 minutes out of your hectic Christmas mornings to Skype me.  It was the best Christmas present I could ask for.  :)

One of my favorite pieces of news from this week:  Giulia got her mission call! I may or may not have gotten a little teary-eyed when she opened it.  And Salt Lake City!  Our house isn't in her mission, unfortunately, but that won't stop me from taking her out to lunch and hanging out with her on P-days!  Mom, I'm pretty sure she has cousins in Provo, but if for some reason they can't get her from the airport or anything, I already told her you would be happy to help.  :)

We had a scambio this week.  I was with Sorella Hanson in Naviglia and it was...something!  It started off with this guy talking to us on the metro about how we must not know about the history of our church.  We must not know that Joseph Smith "changed the Bible."  And all of these things.  We obviously explained everything we could and just bore our testimonies as much as possible.  But when people aren't actually wanting to know the truth, it's kind of pointless.  Then he told us we wouldn't be saved and that there was literally something wrong with our brains and that they should be studied.  He was dead serious.  We had a good laugh about that one afterward.  ;)  The next day, a couple of appointments cancelled, so we ended up doing finding in the rain all afternoon, with my bum foot and my scambio backpack on....it was pretty interesting.  But it was fun!  I love scambi because I always feel the urge to be a better missionary afterward.

Our New Years was a bit strange.  By President's orders, we had to be in our houses by 5:00.  So we went home, did daily planning, and then cleaned our apartment, made brownies, worked on the area book, watched Legacy...all before 9:00.  So my comp went to bed and I stayed up and watched "The Testaments" while painting my nails.  I thought about trying to stay up til midnight, but gave up around 11.  I was a little sad to miss the midnight celebrations, but then I was awoken at 11:58 to what sounded like constant gunshots right outside our apartment.  Fireworks were going off EVERYWHERE.  We thought Cologno would be this sleepy little town on New Years Eve.  Not so.  Then I heard people outside counting down.  And the fireworks just kept going.  And going.  Finally, at about 12:20 I went to a window and poked my head out.  I was able to see fireworks off to the right and fireworks off to the left.  It was pretty cool.  And then I closed all the doors leading to our bedroom, to try to block out the noise, and finally fell asleep a while later.  Sorella Russell slept through it all.  ;)

We had quite a few meno-attivo lessons this week, and quite a few no-show lessons as well.  I suppose that's to be expected during the holidays.  No one has work, which would be ideal if that didn't mean that they went on vacation til the middle of January!  This coming week will still probably be strange, and then hopefully it will start to get normal again!  By this time next week, we'll know about transfers!  I'm praying that I'll get one more transfer here in lovely Cimiano.  Who knows?  :)

I love you all and wish you the happiest of new years!  AMORE.

Sorella Gunnerson

No comments:

Post a Comment