Wednesday, April 23, 2014

04.23.14 {week 39}

The lice is gone!

I don't know if I've ever been so grateful in my life.  Wow.  I can say that I'm a lice expert now, though, so that's nice.  ;)  Seriously though, if I had to go through this entire ordeal with anyone, I'm glad it was with Tokarski.  We have our moments of frustration - sometimes with the lice and sometimes with each other, but by the end of it we're just laughing about it.  So I count her as one of my many blessings, too.

So much happened this week!  And yet...nothing did.  We just walked around Torino basically all day on Monday and it was DEAD.  There was seriously no one around and all of the shops were closed.  Italy just sometimes shuts down for days at a time.  It's awesome.  (Yep, the sarcasm is still here, folks...)  But we were actually able to go out and work which was a miracle in and of itself.

Funny story from this week:  On Friday night we were having dinner with F. (a less-active) and her son and his girlfriend (whom I ADORE and want to be baptized so badly).  She was getting dinner ready and we were just chatting.  She had the doors open to her balcony and this wasp kept coming in.  Tokarski and I were doing our best to not freak out, but there's really only so much you can do.  Finally, it flew up to these big speakers she had on the top of some cabinets and flew into one of the speaker hole things.  And it just refused to come out.  So, naturally, Tokarski and I just had our eyes on it the whole time, waiting for it to come out.  But it was not coming out.  So F. gets this determined look on her face, walks over to the CD player and turns on this really intense Italian music.  But....no wasp.  She wasn't going to just give up.  No.  She gets her broom and just starts wacking at the speaker.  I don't think I've laughed that hard in a long time.  We were just watching this Italian woman hit a speaker repeatedly with a broom as this Italian music blared in the background.  Ah, Italia.  I'm gonna miss this place.

Sometimes things just get lost in translation.  The word for "sealed" (as in a temple marriage) is "suggellato."  The word for "frozen" is "surgelato."  It makes for really awkward conversations...  "Yeah, we can go to the temples and be frozen together for eternity."  What a difference an r makes...

We had a really frustrating experience this last week.  We taught the first lesson to this lady, V., who has literally been searching for our church her entire life and has literally never even heard of Mormons before.  And the lesson went incredibly well.  We answered a lot of her questions and she just kept saying, "That's exactly what I believe!"  So we set up a return appointment for the next night.  And the next day she called us and said that her boyfriend (who is a Jehovah's Witness) doesn't want her studying with us anymore and she's really sad, but she doesn't want to fight with him, so she can't see us anymore.  We were so frustrated!  She is so close to getting the truth!  But, she's smart.  She'll figure it out eventually.  I know it.

Anyway, I seriously have zero time left.  Easter was lovely!  We got more chocolate eggs than we could handle!  And I set up a little easter egg hunt for Tokarski in our apartment that night.  (A mom's gotta do what a mom's gotta do...)  But mostly it was just really nice to be able to remember the resurrection of our Savior, Jesus Christ.  He lives and loves us!  AMORE.

Sorella Gunnerson

No comments:

Post a Comment